8.11.2009

On the Road!!!

We left Concord, CA at 10:45 a.m., yesterday...only 45 minutes behind schedule and set out for Tahoe City, CA. Initially, I was extremely tense (for those of you who know me, this should come as no surprise). The traffic was relatively heavy going through Sacramento; the Garmin lady was giving me lip and Gramps was not in the mood to settle down.

I was thrilled to see the landscape change from arid and mediterranean to alpine in a few short hours. It was nice to see "real" mountains--- bigger and more impressive than Mt. Diablo and its surrounding foothills. I think we got up to about 6,200 above sea level. I realize that the drive through the Rockies is going to dwarf that experience very soon, though.

We stopped in Truckee and at Lake Tahoe and were completely impressed. Great towns, nice people, gorgeous scenery. I've never really experienced mountains, ski towns, etc. It definitely seems my speed...

No comments:

Post a Comment